Russians in the CEF Banner

Error processing SSI file

Roll of Honour, British Columbia Land Surveyors

This honour roll has been transcribed from a document in the collection of Keith Wood, whose contribution is gratefully acknowledged.


Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, 12th February, 1887. He came to Canada about 1907 and served under articles to the late Captain A.W. Johnson M.C., B.C.L.S., with whom he subsequently entered into partnership, under the firm of name of "Johnson and Allan" of Kamloops, BC. His professional work was carried on mostly in the district surrounding Kamloops and the North Thompson Valley. He went home to Scotland and obtained a commission as Second Lieutenant in April, 1915. On July 18th 1916 he was wounded, but on recovery rejoined his regiment. He was killed leading his company at Croiselles on April 24th, 1917 in the Big Advance, and lies buried near Fontaine. Captain Allen was shortly predeceased by his wife and infant child. Died in childbirth, I might think. Kamloops is located in south central BC at the junction of the North and South Thompson Rivers. It had a population of about 5,000 then with about 15,000 rural which were scattered over many square miles. Captain Allan is commemorated along with another 188 individuals on the Kamloops War Memorial.


Son of Dr. D. Bell-Irving, Vancouver BC, was born in England, January 3rd, 1888 and came with his parents to Vancouver in April, the same year. He graduated from the Royal Military College, Kingston, in 1908. He was articled to Mr. G.H Dawson, B.C.L.S., former Surveyor General, and obtained his commission as a BC Land Surveyor in 1913. He entered into partnership with the late Caprain K.C.C Taylor, D.S.O., B.C.L.S. under the firm name of "Taylor and Bell-Irving" of Vancouver. He was engaged on a Government survey on the Naas River when war broke out and he immediately made arrangements to come to Vancouver to enlist. He went overseas as a Lieutenant in the Canadian Engineers and reached France in January 1915. On February 25th, while in charge of a working party, he was shot by a sniper and died the same night. He was the first British Columbia Land Surveyor and the first British Columbia officer killed in the war.


Was born at Oliver, Tweedsmuir, Peeblesshire, on the 17th of September, 1886, son of Patrick Booth of the Port Trust, Calcutta. He graduated with high honours in Engineering from Edinburgh University at the age of twenty, and came to Canada a year later. He obtained his commission as BC Land Surveyor in 1910, and at one time was in partnership with Captain G.N. Downton, M.C., B.C.L.S. with offices at Vancouver and Lillooet. On the outbreak of war he proceeded at once to Scotland and obtained a commission in the Royal Field Artillery. He served in Gallipoli in 1915-16 where he was wounded, and subsequently in France. He was killed in action at Cambrai on December 2nd, 1917.


Son of H.P. Christie, late Government Agent at Ashcroft, BC, was born at Wapella, Saskatchewan 26th of March, 1887 and came to BC in 1897. He was educated at Bedford Grammar School, England and at Mcgill University, where he graduated in Science in 1908. He obtained his commission in 1910, and was a member of the surveying firm of "Christie, Dawson and Heywood," of Kamloops, BC. All the members of this firm served with the Colours during the war. He made extensive surveys for the Provincial Government in the North Thompson Valley. He went to England in November, 1914 , and joined the Inns of Court O.T.C. He was gazetted to the 4th Battalion Cameronians in April, 1915. He served with the 6th Battalion from July 1915 to July 1916, when was transferre to the 1st Battalion of the same regiment and fell at the Battle of the Somme, on the morning of the 16th July, 1916, whilst leading his platoon at Highwood. Lt. Christie is commemorated on the Kamloops War Memorial. A creek is named after him in the North Thompson Valley


Son of Louis Colbourne, of Brackenham, Kent, England, was born in Buenos Ayres on the 25th of June, 1888. He was educated at Berkhampstead School, and came to Victoria, BC in 1907. He was articled to to Mr. Frank Deveraux, B.C.L.S. and obtained his commission as a Land Surveyor in 1912. After the outbreak of war he went to England where he obtained a commissioin in the 3rd Royal Berkshire Regiment, in January 1915. He died at Chognes, June 27, 1915, of wounds received in action and was buried in the Military Cemetary there. He was awarded the Military Cross for conspicuos gallantry at Cuinchy a few days before his death. Lieut. Colbourne was married December 31st, 1912, to Florence Marion. only daughter of George Gillespie, Victoria BC.


Was born at Birmingham, England on May 16, 1886 and was educated at King Edward School of that city. He came to Canada in 1906. He obtained his commission as a Dominion Land Surveyor in 1911 and as a BC Land surveyor in the same year. He was subsequently associated for a short time with McElhanney Bros of Vancouver and in 1912 joined the engineering staff of the Canadian Pacific Railway, as surveyor in charge of all BC surveys, which he held until 1916. He enlisted in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve in July, 1916, where he was engaged in patrol work on the high seas. On his return to Canada he was taken ill at Halifax with pneumonia and died there on April 17th 1919. His remains were buried at Trenton, Ontario. He leaves a wife and young son. Barring a spelling error Lt Cond doesn't appear to be on the CWGC site.


Was born at Belleville, Ontario, February 8th, 1889 and recieved his early education in the public schools in Belleville and Picton. After teaching school for one year, he entered Quenn's University in 1908 where he secured the Mowat Scholarship in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. He obtained his commissiion as a Dominion Land Surveyor in 1911 and as a BC surveyor in 1912, after which he opened an office in Vancouver and carried on an active practice until the winter of 1914, when he joined the University Company recruited at Kingston, Ontario, afterwards known as No. 6 Company, Divisional Engineers. In October 1915 he transfeed to the Royal Flying Corps. and was granted a Pilot's Certificate in December of the same year. On April 16th he was killed in the air while on an artillery reconnaisance behind the German lines near Peronne. He was buried by the German's at Clery.


Was born, London, England, 27th September, 1882, and was educated at the Toronto Church School and the Royal Military College, Kingston, from which he graduated in 1902. He subsequently took a special course at Mcgill University, Montreal. He occupied important positions on the Trent Valley Canal Survey and was employed in running the tunnel under the East River, New York. He opened an office in Vancouver about 1909 and enjoyed an extensive practise until war broke out, when he joined the Seaforth Highlanders and was appointed a Lieutenant. Being disatisfied with the delay in reaching the front, he transferred in England to the 3rd Gordon Highlanders and shortly afterwards was sent to France. He was severely wounded at La Bassee and after spending 6 months in hospital, he returned to Canada on 3 month's leave. At the end of his leave he rejoined his regiment and saw considerable fighting, being wounded again and subsequently killed May 7, 1917 at Bullecourt. Captain Gordon had 2 brothers servin in the Canadian Army, one of whom, a Captain was killed in action early in the war, and an elder brother Col. H D. Lockhart Gordon, D.S.O., commanded the 4th Mounted Rifles.


Born in Ottawa, Ontario, April 18, 1887. He was educated at Ottawa Collegiate Institute and Mcgill University, from which he graduated with his B.Sc. in 1908 He obtained his Dominion Land Surveyors commission in 1908 and became a BC Land Surveyor in 1910. He worked in various portions of the Province including considerable work in the Peace River District. His last work before enlisting was a right-of-way survey of portion of the Kettle Valley Railway. He left Vancouver in April 1915 and proceeded to England with a view to enlisting in the Royal Engineers. Finding there would be some delay to this, he accepted a commission in the Royal Field Artillery as 2nd Lieutenant. He reached France in September, 1915. On Sept. 17th 1916, on the outskirts of Flers, he was severely wounded and died five days later in the General Hospital at Rouen a few hours after having his right leg amputated above the knee. He was awarded the Military Cross, according to the Official Gazette, "for conspicuous gallantry in action, When observation officer, he was buried by a shell and under intense fire he continued to carry out his work with great courage and determination."


Born in 1875 at Ellingham Hall, Norfolk and educatd in Spondon House School, Derby and Sedberg School, Yorkshire. He came to Canada at age 18, living first in Alberta and subsequently coming to BC and qualifying as a Land Surveyor in 1912. His professional work was confined chiefly to the Kootenays and when war broke out had an office in Revelstoke. He enlisted early in the war in a Canadian Contingent and on reaching England obtained a commission in the West Yorks Regiment. He was soon promoted to a Captaincy and reached France in Jan. 1916. In Oct 1916 he was awarded the Military Cross"for conspicuous gallantry on many occasions, especially when covering party having been sent forward it came under heavy machine gun fire and wavered. He controlled these men and reorganized the position. His coolness and determination have been an example to all ranks" He was killed in action on May 29, 1917 near Hendicourt. He is survived by a wife and young daughter in England. *ERLAND-Joined CEF as 117025 12 CMR. Report from Calgary Herald, June 7, 1917 "Captain Erlan Hadow MC, who left Calgary as a private in the first draft of that mounted regiment.....has been killed in action. The late Captain ... at one time was a rancher at Pekisko and was one of the best polo players in the district. Later he took up mining engineering and surveying and was time to time employed in Revelstoke, BC. Captain Hadow is commemorated on the Revelstoke War Memorial.


Born in Kansas U.S.A. on March 30, 1877. He possessed an especially fine physique, standing six feet two inches and weighing 240 pounds. He obtained his early education at Chilliwack, BC and Vancouver and was a graduate in Civil Engineering from McGill University. He practised his profession of Enginering and Surveying in Chilliwack, and was for a few years City Engineer for that city. On the outbreak of war he enlisted with the 104th Regiment at New Westminster and subsequently obtained a commission with the 131st Bn(CEF) with which he went overseas and was transferred to the 54th. His engineering abilities were subsequently recognized and he was attached to the 11th Field Company , Canadian Engineers, with whom he was engaged in consolidating the ground before Vimy Ridge on April 11th, 1917, when he was instantly killed by a chance shell. Letters from his fellow officers to his relatives speak in most glowing terms of his ability and bravery as a soldier. He was married in 1907 to Miss Mary Dixon Parcy of London, Ontario and left besides his widow, 3 young children to mourn his passing.


Royal Engineers, Dominion and BC Land Surveyor, was born Feb. 23, 1874 in Madagascar. He was educated at Ackworth and Bootham, Yorks and came to Canada about 1893. Taking up Land Surveying, he served under articles with Lt. Col. Vicars of Kamloops. He was for some years employed on surveys for the Dominion Government in the Lower Fraser Valley. One important feature was the establishmentof the limit of the "20 Mile Railway Belt" Practising at Kamloops, he undertook annual surveys in various parts of BC for the C.N.P. Railway Co. In 1913 he formed a partnership with the late Capt. H.D. Allan, Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders. He proceeded to England in Feb. 1915 and obtained a commission as 2nd Lieut. in the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders, going over to France in Oct. 1915. After a year's service with that regiment he was transferred to the Royal Engineers, being employed on the highly technical work of locating enemy gun positions by a system of triangulating on flashes. He was promoted to Captain and served continuously until April 1918, when he was wounded and gassed during a heavy enemy bombardment, from the effects of which he died on 17th April 1918. Captain Johnson was awarded the Military Cross "for consistent good work whilst in command of an observation group, Sept.,1917 to April, 1918. It is owing to his efficient work that the group has been able to locate successfully the positions of many hostile batteries and to range our own batteries thereon." Captain Johnson was a veteran of the South African War, proceeding from Canada with Lord Strathcona's Horse, for which he received the Queen's Medal with 4 clasps. Captain Johnson is commemorated on the Kamloops War Memorial. His QSA is a "raised date" variation.

LIEUTENANT NELSON CLARKE KENNY 67th BN(Western Scots) Railway Construction Corps

Born at Guelph, Ontario on Aug. 1s7 1891. A few years later the family moved to Manitoba and then came to New Westminster in 1902. He received his primary education in the schools of Manitoba and BC, entering Columbia College at the latter place in 1905. He passed his preliminary examination in Land Surveying in 1912 and was articled to R.W. Haggen B.C.L.S. at Quesnel and was engaged on a number of surveys in the Cariboo and Lilloooet districts. He was active in athletics and considered one of the best amateur hockey and lacrosse players of the Coast. He passed his final examinationin Oct 1915 and having obtained his commission as a BC Land Surveyor immediately enlisted in the 67th Battalion Western Scots in which a numberr of his friends in the Cariboo had enlisted. His natural ability and faculty of leadership was soon recognized and he rapidly rose from the ranks and was recommended for a commissioin. It was while with the Railway Construction Corps engaged in building a light railway at Vimy Ridge on May 18 1917 that he gave his life for his country. He was buried in the Canadian Cemetery at Villers-au-Bois.


Was born at Cote des Neiges, a suburb 0f Montreal on March 4 1869, and received his early education in the East. He came to Western Canad in 1891, obtaining hs commission as a Provincial Land Surveyor in April of that year. He practised his profession for a few years in the Kootenays and subsequently removed to Victoria. Here he formed a partnership with T.S. Gore. He was president of the Board of Management of the Corporation of B.C. Land Surveyors in 1908. Though leading a busy professional life, he found time to express his highly developed literary talents which found expression in both prose and poetry. He enlisted early in the war in the 50th Gordon Highlanders and went overseas with the 16th Battalion and was killed on April 21, 1915 before Ypres. CWGC gives the date as April 24th.


Born in Victoria, BC July 8th, 1888 and educated in the High School of his native city. After leaving shcool he adopted the profession of Land Surveying obtaining his commission in 1910 and practising as a member of the firm of Gray and Milligan Bros. When war broke out in 1914 he was on an exploratory survey for the Provincial Govwernment in a remote part of th Peace River District. After reaching Victoria and completing his reports, he enlisted in the Army Service Corps at Vernon. Not being satisfied with noncombatant service, he went to England at his own expense and joined the Inns of Court Officers Training Corps. He went to France as a the Royal Field Artillery in Dec. 1915. For his service in the field he was twice mentioned in Despatches and recommended for the Distinguished Service Order and Military Cross. He was killed instantaneously on March 24, 1918 while engaged with his battery at Royelles. It is reported that he was recommended for the Victoria Cross for his heroism evidenced during the carrying out of his duties on his last action. George was one of 4 brothers serving in the war including one other who was killed in action, and John Milligan, also a BC Land Surveyor who was a prisoner of war in Germany for three and one half years. Lieut. Milligan was a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and a member of the Union Club of Victoria.

CAPTAIN HAROLD PRICE 26th Northumberland Fusiliers

Born at Moodyville, BC on July 20th 1890. He obtained his education in Vancouver taking the 2 year McGill Course in BC. He was articled to Mr. Noel Humphrys, B.C.L.S. and obtained his commissione in 1911. His headquarters for his practise were at Vancouver and he made surveys in various portions of the Province. He was in Ontario on a business trip when war broke out and he immediately tried to enlist. Being refused 3 different times because of a missing finger, he went to England and finally succeeded in enlisting as a private in the 26th Northumberland Fusiliers. He rose rapidly in rank and was gazetted a Captain in Dec 1914 and arrived in France in March 1916 He was mentioned twice in despatches within a couple of months and in June 1916 was awarded the Military Cross for "Carrying out successful raid on enemy trenches and delaying own return till men in safety." He was killed by a shell when returning from a trench raid on June 26, 1916. His body was brought in and buried in the cemetery at Albert, France.


Born in Arnprior, Ontario, June 3, 1889 and received his early education there, subsequently entering Toronto University taking a course in Civil Engineering and graduating in 1910. He articled to Mr. James Laidlaw B.C.L.S., Cranbrook and obtained his commission as a BC Land Surveyor in 1914. He subsequently became a partner in the Field Ingineering Company at Victoria. He enlisted in the 103rd Battalion at Victoria with which he proceeded overseas. He was drafted to the 29th Vancouver Battalion with which he took part in several important engagements in France, including Vimy Ridge. He was killed a few weeks after that battle in April, 1917 He was of retiring disposition and showed his true friendship by declining promotion from the ranks for the reason that it would have deprived him of the fellowship of his comrades in his Company. Wigney gives death as May 5, 1917.


He was the youngest son of the late Robert Revell barrister-at-law of Woodstock, Ontario. He received his early education in Woodstock, then the College Institute in the same town, and finally the School of Practical Science, Toronto, where he did splendid work, taking honours each year and obtaining his B.A. SC. degree from Toronto University in 1899. After graduating he was employed on engineering work in Labrador and the Province of Quebec. In 1904 he came to Nelson, BC and was articled to Mr. A.A. Green B.C.L.S. obtaining his commission as a BC Land Surveyor in 1914. He was associated with Messrs. Green Bros & Burden at Nelson until he enlisted early in the war with the 1st Field Company, Canadian Engineers and went overseas with the first contingent. He was killed in action at Givenchy on June 15th, having remained on duty after being wounded 5 times until hit by a shell.


Was born in Waterloo County, Ontario, on October 4th, 1873 and attended the public schools of Ontario and Woodstock Collegiate. He graduated from the School of Practical Science, Toronto in 1897 and came west to Rossland, BC. In 1899 he qualified as a BC Land Surveyor and practised in Revelstoke, making many surveys, chiefly in the Kootenay District. When war broke out he was a Captain in a Militia Regiment, but was precluded from enlisting on account of blood poisoning in his hand. When finally he succeeded in being accepted there was a surplus of officers and he enlisted as a private in the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders. He went overseas in April, 1916, to France in August and was killed in action on Sept 15, 1916, during his 2nd time in the front trenches. From the Army List: Oct., 1905, Lieutenant #5 Independant Company(Revelstoke), Rocky Mountain Rangers Jan., 1909, Captain E Company(Revelstoke) 102nd Regiment, Rocky Mountain Rangers. He was the 2nd O/R fatal casualty in the 72nd.


Was born in Ottawa on June 15th, 1883, where he received his early education. He graduared from McGill University in 1908 and later was admitted as a Dominion, as well as, a BC Land Surveyor. During his Collegiate and University Career he was prominently identified with athletics, having been Captain of the McGill Intermediate Football Team in 1905 and played on the senior team in 1906 and 1907. He was also known in Ottawa as a canoeist. He was for some tome in charge of work on the Geodetic Survey of Canada under the late Dr. King C.M.G. Prior to enlisting in the fall of 1915, he was engaged on surveys in the Peace River Block, BC. He proceeded overseas in the early spring of 1916 as a Lieut. in the Canadian Engineers. He was awarded the Military Cross for outstanding work in connection with water supply during operations of 1917. He was killed in action in August, 1918 at Rosieres while engaged in the development of the water supply in the captured areas during the early period of the advance which terminated with the Armistice. Wigney says: Aug 16, 1918, 1st AT Coy C.E. D.O.W.


Was born in Montreal on March 20th, 1888. His preliminary education was obtained in Vancouver. He entered the Royal Military College, Kingston in 1905 and graduated in 1908 with the highest standing in his year, thus entitling him to one of four Commissions in the Imperial Army awarded each year to the first 4 Cadets. He, however, decided not to enter the army and served for a short time with the Canadian Pacific Railway, after which he articled to J.A. Coryell, B.C.L.S. at Grand Forks. He obtained his commission as a BC Land Surveyor in 1911 and was in charge of Government Survey parties working in the Upper Fraser and Naas River Valleys. In October, 1914, he and his brother, now Major T.A.H. Taylor O.B.E., M.C., returned from an extended survey in the interior of Vancouver Island to find that war had been declared almost 3 months previously. Both joined the 29th Battalion as Lieutenants. Kenneth was awarded the Distinguished Service Order in Jan., 1916 " for conspicuous gallantry in leading a bombing raid on the enemy trenches, when, although wounded, Captain Taylor disposed of several of the enemy with revolver, bomb and bayonet and then withdrew his men most coolly and assisted the wounded." He was killed on Sept. 11th, 1916 in the advance on Courcellette. He was gazetted Major shortly before his death.


Was born in August, 1876 at Chilworth, Surrey. He was educated at Giggleswick School, Yorkshire and the Imperial College of Technology, South Kensington where he obtained the degree of Assocoate Member of the Institute of Civil Engineers. He was employed on Railway Engineering work in England and East Africa until 1904 and when he came to Canada as Divisional Engineer for the Canadian Pacific and Greand Trunk Pacific Railways. He obtained his Commission as BC Land Surveyor in 1910 and practised his profession with headquarters at Vancouver. He enlisted in England, obtaining a commission in the 16th Royal Irish Rifles in March, 1915. He was subsequently attached to the 153rd Battery of the Royal Field Artillery, and on May 12th, 1916 whilst riding with the Adjutant about 2 miles behind the front line a shell exploded close to his horse which threw him. Sustaining a fracture of the base of the skull, he never regained consciousness before he died on May 16th.


Was born at Fredericton N.B. on Oct. 19th, 1887 and attended the public schools there and later the Unuversityof New Brunswick. Before completing his course there, however, he entered McGill University at Montreal and took the degree of Mining Engineer. After graduating he entered the Cobalt Mining Fields as Assistant Engineer in one of the mines there and later moved to Nelson, BC and accepted a position as Mining Engineer at that point. He afterwards took up Civil Engineering and was employed by the BC Electric Railway in connection with their Lake Buntzen Water Power (near Vancouver....K.) Later, after passing the examination for BC Land Surveyor, he took up surveying. He afterwards became Engineer to the Harbour Commissioners at Vancouver and was so employed when the war broke out. Major Winslow commenced his Officers' Training Course in Dec., 1914 and left Victoria with the 48th Battalion in June, 1915. On reaching England the 48th Battalion of Infantry was changed into the 3rd Pioneers and he crossed to France in 1916. He was then a Lieutenant and shortly afterward was promoted to a Captaincy. Later on he became a Company Commander with the temporary rank of Major. When the 3rd Pioneers were disbanded, he was appointed to a staff position as Captain and later again Officer Commanding the 1st Canadian Tramways. It was on Sept. 5th, 1918, whilst inspecting the tramways over which he had command that he received the 2 severe wounds which resulted in his death 5 days later. Major Winslow was married in Londo, England to Miss Doris O. McLachlan in Dec., 1916


Was born in Kamloops, Feb. 23rd, 1893 and received his early education there. His first experience on survey work was as chainman for Mr. Sidney Williams, B.C.L.S., at age 16. He was in his third year at Toronto University when he enlisted in Jan., 1916 in the Imperial Army. He was attached to the 17th Battalion, Tank Corps. In Nov., 1917 he was severely wounded at the Battle of Cambrai and invalided to England where he remained until the end of April, 1918, when he returned to France and was engaged in all the heavy fighting of his corps. During the breaking of the Drocourt-Queant Switch Line on Sept 2nd, 1918 his tank was destroyed by an incendiary shell and he and his men were forced to abandon it. It was while engaged in getting back to the lines that he was killed by machine gun fire. For his gallant action in this engagement he was awarded the Military Cross.

Land Surveyor

Land Surveyor

Land Surveyors

Land Surveyors